A history of providing opportunities in Western and Northern Connecticut
Goodwill has been supporting the power of independence since 1950.
Our legacy, however, extends back to 1902, when Rev. Edgar Helms founded Goodwill in Boston. Wanting to offer a “hand up, not a handout,” Helms collected used goods and clothing. He then hired and trained those in need to mend and repair them, and sold the items to help fund the operation. To this day, that ideal informs all Goodwill programs and services delivered to the local community.
Today, Goodwill Industries International is a $5.87 billion nonprofit, secular organization with 155 independent chapters.
Humble beginnings, heartfelt support
Goodwill Industries of Western and Northern Connecticut is celebrating 73 years of service to the local community. In 1950, the Rev. Joseph Pouliot organized Goodwill Industries of Western Connecticut at the Christian Union on Main Street in Bridgeport. In 1969, Goodwill merged with the Sheltered Workshop and moved to its present barrier-free building on Ocean Terrace. In the years that followed, Goodwill Industries of Western Connecticut took on Hartford Counties into its service territory, expanding its reach and rebranded as Goodwill of Western and Northern Connecticut in 2011.
Today, in addition to the Bridgeport and Hartford campuses, Goodwill operates 20 stores, five attended donation locations, and six Career Centers. Our centers focus on employment-based outcome offerings that empowers individuals to develop the skills needed to find and keep a job.
Our story continues.
See what’s new at Goodwill.