Goodwill was founded in 1902 in Boston, by Rev. Edgar Helms of Boston. Wanting to offer a “hand up, not a handout,” he collected used goods and clothing. He hired and trained those in need to mend and repair them. He then sold the items to help fund the operation.
Today, Goodwill Industries International is a $2.7 billion nonprofit, a secular organization with 165 independent chapters.
A hand up in western and northern Connecticut
Rev. Joesph Pouliot organizes what will become Goodwill of Western & Northern Connecticut at the Christian Union on Main Street in Bridgeport.
Goodwill opens a store in Milford when a building on New Haven Avenue is donated to the agency.
Goodwill moves to our present Bridgeport headquarters on Ocean Terrace.
With the organization growing, a residential facility is added, including a kitchen, a cafeteria and a recreational room.
A new donation center opens in Waterbury.
Goodwill creates Helms Housing, 12 units of affordable housing on its Bridgeport campus.
Goodwill becomes a qualified provider for the Medicaid acquired brain injury program.
Goodwill acquires new retail territory gaining the right to develop and operate stores and donation centers in the greater Hartford area.
Goodwill launches a program for individuals in the autism spectrum.
Goodwill expands its human services territory to include the entire northern area of Connecticut.
Goodwill Career Centers open in four locations to provide assistance to people looking for work.
New Goodwill store in Westport opens, carrying new “GW” branding.